The J702 Compressor Refurbishment project comprised of the renewal of the mechanical, legacy hydraulic and instrumented systems of the J702 compressor. This is one of the oldest working pieces of machinery on the Sasol site and the refurbishment was initiated and driven by Sasol Wax.
The Mechanical and Structural portion of the project addressed the Basic Engineering, Detail Design, Procurement and Construction of the seal oil and buffer gas systems. Deliverables during the main phases of the project included:
- Development of an engineering design basis and project execution philosophy
- New P&ID’s representing the compressor auxiliaries
- Modelling of the new equipment and piping, correctly represented in the challenging brownfields environment.
- AFC Piping isometrics
- Procurement of special piping components and long lead items
- Appointment and on-site management of construction contractors
- Ensuring compliance with all statutory requirements and client specifications.
Proconics is uniquely positioned to provide our clients with multidisciplinary solutions to complex problems, all under one roof. The execution of the J702B Compressor OBL project was no exception, especially due to the multiple interfaces with existing equipment and infrastructure in a brownfields environment. Proconics provided the platform for a Brilliant Mechanical and Structural engineering team to find creative solutions within various existing constraints, evidenced through the use of 3D printed components to verify the design’s maintainability prior to fabrication. The Proconics Vanderbijlpark office is conveniently situated close to the Sasol 1 site, which ensured a short turnaround time and continuous support during all phases of the project.